Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Miss Office 2009

The head of my company is in the office today for some major meetings with our Sales Directors. It’s kind of a big deal because she is only here two or three times a year. So I am pretty sure she doesn’t know my name, what department I work for, or if I even speak English. But she greeted me warmly when I almost ran her over in the mailroom today. This little interaction, make that a near collision, got me to thinking: How sad is it that after 2 + years at this company there are still people I don’t know. Or more importantly who don’t know me?

That is why I am going to make it my mission for 2009 to make sure everyone knows who I am. And I am not going to do this the easy way by sleeping with a slew of co-workers or stealing AKI – the Terra Cotta Warrior Stature from the lobby (unless I am fired and then he is mine). No longer will I run into a mystery person in the restroom and wonder “Does that person work here or are they stealing toilet paper?” I want to be able to greet them by name before heading into my stall.

I don’t exactly have a perfected game plan yet, though I am sure my position within the Fun Committee with come into play. Perhaps I will start with the phone list and mark off everyone I know so I have an idea how many people remain to be met.

I’ll keep you updated.

~The Office Scribe

No comments: