Friday, January 2, 2009

Best Quote By a Co-Worker of 2009 (So Far)

On a lot of blogs the first/last post of a year is either a round-up of the events that happened or resolutions that will never be adhered to. I briefly considered this, but since 2008 wasn’t the most stellar year for me and my only New Year’s Resolution is to send out birthday cards, I was a bit perplexed about how to start off 2009.

But like most great moments of inspiration, they come when you least expect them.

My blogging muse came today in the form of one of the few co-workers that are in the office today. ( It is like a ghost town around here. None of the phones are ringing and only about 1/3 of the staff is in because it is the Friday after New Year’s and the smart people thought “Why the hell would I go in and spend 8 hours staring at my computer when I could be home trying to master Rock Band?” )

So I come into work today, with a headache that is making my eyes water because I am a human barometer. With no phone messages and only two non-important e-mails to greet me, I had a feeling it was going to be an incredibly boring day.

That is, until my co-worker, K, sidled up to my desk and said “Help me I’m stuck.” And by stuck she meant she couldn’t unzip her North Face fleece and seemed to be on the verge of having a mini panic attack. So the maternal instinct in me kicked in, not because I have kids (hells no) but I think from all the years I spent babysitting. With a little finagling I managed to un-stick her zipper and free her from the constraints of her jacket. She thanked me and then went back to her own Fortress of Solitude.

So if this little exchange is indicative of how things around my office might go for 2009, I think we might have some fun here on Asleep Under My Desk this year.

Happy New Year

~The Office Scribe

No comments: