Monday, January 12, 2009

Expert On Opinions – aka Made Up Job

The Golden Globes took place last night. I managed to watch about 4 minutes of it before I realized that I hadn’t seen one of the movies that there we talking about. And it’s not because I don’t want to, but because they are not out in the theaters. I don’t think that movie companies should be allowed to have their films nominated if they only have them released in three theaters.

But that is not the reason for this post. All day today as I have been checking various web sites and blogs there is a lot of chatter about what people were wearing at the awards and who looked good and who looked like crap. Most of the dresses I really liked this year. Lots of color, fun shapes, whatever.

As it turns out I should apparently stick to writing about work and such because I know nothing about fashion. All of the so called experts hated every dress that I liked. Sure, I know my opinions can be different to a certain degree, but I couldn’t tell what the problem was with these dresses.

And then this question popped into my head: How does one become a fashion expert? Isn’t fashion purely built around personal taste? How can you become an expert in that?

For example: I could become an expert in the country of Estonia if I studied all about it and visited it a couple times a year and wrote books about it. That is what experts do.

Experts do not pass judgments on things they have no control over.

That’s what blogs are for.

So the next time I hear that orange is the hot new color or that pleats will be in style, I am going to tell them to shove it. There is no reason I can’t be trendy in my Old Navy flannel PJ pants and a torn Grateful Dead t-shirt.

~The Office Scribe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely--and I'm pretty sure a Grateful Dead t-shirt is always a fashion statement. ;)