Monday, January 28, 2008

Efficiency is the fuel of boredom

This might be my favorite title for a blog entry I have written yet.

Unfortunately I can’t quite come up with some really witty filler that will support the great title. This makes me unhappy.

I was trying to figure out a clever way of saying how I am so good at my job that I am generally done with everything by 2:00. But no matter how many different ways I tried to write that, it came out snobbish, and that isn’t me. And I tried. I really tried. Like I said, I was done with work and lunch by 2:00 today and have spent a good hour or so trying to be clever.

And you know what I learned? Trying to be clever does not work. You know what else doesn’t work? Giving your piece a title before you write it.

This used to drive me nuts when I was taking writing classes. My teachers would be like “What’s your piece called?” My answer was always something dumb and un-creative. My teachers would wrinkle their nose and I could see on their face that they know I didn’t put anytime into think of a decent title. I would try to explain to them how I preferred to give titles afterwards, like how someone was knighted after they proved themselves to the king. They never bought that.

To me, the title isn’t important. Sure, it is meant to give a hint about what the piece is about, but those tricky writers don’t like to follow logic. Hence the reason I end up going to see so many movies that I think are going to be awesome and they turn out horrible.

Which brings me to one of my most current fears: the title of the new Bond movie. I don’t know if you’ve heard it, but it’s ridiculous. So here it is:

Quantum of Solace

What the hell man? I don’t even know what that means. Daniel Craig said in a recent article that the title has to do with Bond figuring out what has gone wrong in his life. I think it means that Ian Flemming dropped the ball. When compared to such amazing Bond titles as “Thunderball”, “Moonraker”, and lest we forget “Octopussy” how are we suppose to get excited for a movie only 15% of the population can pronounce? Or which makes me think of high school algebra class (If x is 5, find the Quantum of Solace of the root of y)

So the lesson we have learned? Titles are important.

The other lesson? I am way too bored at work.
The Office Scribe

No comments: