Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Ain’t Afraid Of No Books

My co-worker and I were yelling over the cubicle wall* earlier today about books and reading and smart things like that and she said she had to return a book to the library. I then shouted back that I don’t like libraries, never have, never will. It’s one of those illogical fears we all have.

Personally, I love books. I currently am reading a few and have two or twelve manuscripts in the works. I could camp out for hours in a Borders with a latte. And I love librarians. One of the best neighbors I ever had was a librarian (and a substitute bus driver!) and my one aunt is currently a school librarian.

So why this absurd fear?

Ghostbusters.

Yeah, you read that right. I have figured out that the reason I break into a cold sweat whenever I enter the “stacks” is because of the opening scene from Ghostbusters where Pete, Egon and Ray go into the New York Public Library and proceed to see floating books, ectoplasmic residue, and finally a ba-tshit crazy ghost librarian than goes all nutso looking when Ray tries to speak with her and sends the boys running like scared little girls.


Yeah, this chick scared me for life.

Though on the brighter side Ghostbusters also encouraged my love for all things paranormal and noxiously colored citrus fruit flavored drinks…

~The Office Scribe
*Because it's so much easier than walking the twenty feet around to speak to her face to face. Oh, and because my boss won't let me take a sawsall to the wall that seperates us to make a window.
Party pooper.

2 comments:

Brooke Amanda said...

That scene scared the crap out of me!

Sheila said...

I guess I'm a little goolish because that scene didn't scare me, but then I love a good horror flick. I also love libraries too. The smell of the books and all.. I rarely get time to read though and think it might be cool to meet a ghost in the library.