Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday? Make That Great Friday!

Each year we as employees are given a choice: Take Good Friday off as a paid holiday or work Good Friday and get another paid day off during another time of the year.

Since I never have any special Good Friday plans I always opt to work. My logic is why take a gloomy (Good Friday is always gloomy, ask Jesus) day off when I can work and then take a nice, sunny spring day off and go and visit the monkeys at the zoo?

So even though today might be the most mind-numbingly boring work days on the calendar (since every other person on the planet has it off) it has had its perks:

- My VP bought us all pizza for lunch. And no day, no matter how crappy it is, can’t be made a little brighter with a slice of pizza.

- There was NO LINE AT STARBUCKS this morning. Which means I got my Iced Venti Quad Non-Fat Latte in 7 minutes as opposed to the normal 15…

- Again, since no one else is working I was able to park in a spot only three away from the door, even though I started at ten which usually means I am parking in a spot closer to the office building next door

- I’m headed to my aunt’s house this evening to participate in one of the oddest holiday traditions aside from decorating dead foliage and encouraging children to take candy from strangers; egg decorating.

- Tomorrow night is the annual television broadcast of “The Ten Commandments” and I am trying to figure out all of the rules for the drinking game that accompanies it.

So to those of you who are like me and are part of the .0002% of the population that are stuck working, don’t fret, it could be worse.

You could be working at a job where you are abducted by pirates. And I don’t mean the hot Disney ride inspired kind…

~ The Office Scribe

5 comments:

Crysta said...

I'm stuck at work, everyone's leaving around me. My normal train is canceled for the holiday weekend, and I have a conference call at 4:00 PM on Good Friday. Sigh.

The Office Scribe said...

Well I have to be here until 6 when most people leave at 4:30 so I am right there with you.

I plan on spending that last 1.5 hours playing Yahoo! poker.

Kathy said...

Well, I got stuck at work today too. And all the faculty who are happy the semester is nearing its end came to me with the crapload of stuff they've been saving up all semester. The joy. I was hoping for a quiet day.

Brooke Amanda said...

I work retail so we ALWAYS work on holidays...I'm thinking I should have been a teacher.

Poobomber said...

I think one of the rules for the Ten Commandments Drinking Game is that whenever Charlton Heston acts like a swaggering prick, everyone takes a drink.

Guaranteed to get you loaded and help you forget about how many of the ten commandments you broke that day alone. (Like the one about having sex with random strangers in a parking lot, I'm sure that's one of them that always gets me.)