Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools FAIL

I don’t know what it is about the first of April that makes me lose all sense of comedic timing and general snarkiness. Perhaps it is some kind of internal mechanism that says “Don’t try and be funny today. Leave all attempts at joking to the amateurs.”

Or maybe these are the reasons:

Fear Of Losing Job – In this economy, no one is safe. (Unless you work for the Unemployment Office). So people in offices are too timid to pull off great pranks like those seen on “The Office”. Sure, it would be awesome to hide someone’s cell phone in the ceiling or convince a co-worker that the CIA needs them for a secret mission, but chances are the epic nature of the prank would lose its meaning when I was fired from my job for inappropriately using company time.

Fear of Losing Job (2.0) – Because of this all “you’re fired” humor isn’t so funny anymore.

I Fell For It – People seem to have the ability today to convince me of things which aren’t true. For example, one of my co-workers* had me convinced for about 3.2 seconds that Jim Thome of the Chicago White Sox had retired. Sure, it was only 3.2 seconds but on a normal day I would have said “Liar” and saved myself the heart palpitations.

The Expectation – For the past couple days people have been asking me what I was going to do for April Fools Day. Sure, I toyed with the idea of making super salty cupcakes or adding warning to everyone’s name tags, but I just didn’t want to do it because it was expected of me. (Which is why they should be really cautious in August…)

I Overslept – Oh so true. I woke up at 8:20 when I was supposed to be at work at 8:30. So it was like my subconscious played a trick on me and that just isn’t cool.

~ The Office Scribe

* Oh, yeah, you suck Dan.

1 comment:

Stickman said...

It's tough when people expect so much from us. I mean come on people, I'm only half a god. My mother was mortal, what do you expect from me.

They do have some good pranks on The Office. Love that show.