Thursday, February 12, 2009

Take Me With You

Work can be a depressing place. Bad lighting, bitter coffee, and the joy of being forced into an environment with people you can’t stand are all just a small part of getting up in the morning a difficult task.

But my day is at its darkest when I hear other people leaving before I can. I sit relatively close to a closet where many co-workers store their coats. Starting at 4:30, the time when the first wave of people leave, all I can hear is the quiet creak of the closet door opening followed by the rustle of fabric as people shrug themselves into said jackets. Their cheery goodbyes make my head hurt.

The thing is I might not even be in a mad mood at the time when people are leaving. I might have had the most awesome day ever and I feel like I am walking on sunshine. But I have one co-worker tell me to “have a good evening” on their way out the door and I suddenly become sullen. Well, more sullen than I usually am.

Maybe I shouldn’t complain. Maybe I should just suck it up and ignore them and keep working diligently. Maybe I should realize that the tradeoff is extra sleep in the morning which makes me less of an oger.

But that’s a lot of maybe’s and I am not a maybe kinda gal.

~The Office Scribe

P.S. – To the person who complained about me not posting yesterday:

Sometimes I have bit of writer’s block when it comes to coming up with a topic to post. Maybe if you were more interesting during the day I wouldn’t have this problem…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The truth about your houseplants is out.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when people @ my office start packing up @ 4:30. I crust up a little on the inside.