Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Results Are In: The Frosting Poll

The most interesting thing about the results of this poll is freaky math used by Blogger polls.  You will see what I mean when you read the results:

Do You Like Frosting? - 26 Votes Total

Yes, It's the Best Part of the Cake - 14 Votes (53%)
No, It Tastes Like Wallpaper Paste - 2 Votes (7%)
Yes, But Only of it's Cream Cheese - 10 Votes (38%)
No, My Diabetes Won't Let Me - 0 Votes (0%)

Can you spot the wonky math?

Since when did 53+7+38 = 100?

It doesn't.  Where's the missing 2%?

I'll give someone a cookie if they can figure it out...

~ The Office Scribe

3 comments:

Holly said...

Rounding error.
14/26 = 53.8 (should have used 54%)
2/26 = 7.7 (8%)
10/26 = 38.5 (always round to the even number when there is 0.5; 38%)
54+8+38=100

I like chocolate chip cookies, or snickerdoodles. With Cream Cheese frosting. hahahaha!

Chris said...

Voo, I missed the poll, but I would've voted for "whipped cream icing" if it had been a choice!! Yummy!!

drewsfishcam said...

Its not so much a rounding error but just the fact that apparently it always rounds down, instead of truly rounding. However, I disagree with Holly that with 0.5 you should round to the even number. I was always taught that you round .5 up.