Wednesday, April 28, 2010

TMI In The OOO

At my company we are expected to put an Out of Office (OOO) on our e-mails when we are going to, um, be out of the office.  It is a professional courtesy to let those who are trying to contact you that you aren't going to be in.

A quality out of office contains the following information:

- Duration of time out of the office (including when you plan on returning)
- Contact information of a person who can be contacted in your absence
- General phone number of the office

For example:


I am currently out of the office, returning on May 5, 2010. Should you need assistance before I return, please contact Bob Saget* (bsaget@fullhouse.com) at ext. 666 or call (555) 555-5555.


Have a lovely day,
The Office

Examples of information which does not need to be placed in your OOO consist of the following:

- Details on the medical procedure you are having done while you are away - I am not interested in anything related to your cyst.
- Where you will be instead of the office -   Sure, Hedonism does sound like a fun place, but now I will feel dirty every time I send you an e-mail.
- Veiled threats - I am sorry that I might have to contact someone else in your company to get the information I need but I don't like that I am fearing for my well being in doing so.
- Jokes - I get it, you aren't in the office, and from your sense of humor, I am guessing you aren't at auditions for Second City.
- Quotes - I too love the quote "What a long strange trip it's been" which is why I, and thousand of other teens, used is as the senior quote in our year books.

So remember, when it comes to OOO, remember to KISS.

I apologize for all the acronyms - I have been hyped up on coffee all day.

~ The Office Scribe

* Whenever I can't think of a person I default to Bob Saget.  It's weird, I know.

No comments: