Monday, November 10, 2008

When did the sun start to set around lunch?

Last weekend, okay, more like two weekends ago we all flipped our clocks back an hour which results in two things:

1) On that splendid Sunday I can roll over, look at my clock and go “It’s not 9, it’s only 8! I can sleep for a whole extra hour!”
2) It starts to get dark after lunch.

Now I know it has always been this way, the sun setting earlier as an indication that winter is coming, but does anyone else think it is a bit ridiculous this year? I don’t know what it is but I swear that the sun goes down around here (I’m outside Chicago) starting at about 4:00PM. And it is pitch black by 5:00PM. Which means on days I work until 6:00PM I feel like I am working the third shift at a factory and am completely thrown off.

I get home and don’t want to do anything because I think it should be about time for me to go to bed. But guess what? It’s 8:30PM! No wonder I come into work like a zombie. I am constantly jet-lagged and I haven’t been on a plane in months (Okay, I know I went to Florida, but no one, and I mean no one, gets jet lagged on a flight from Florida.)

Oh, and get this. I swear the sun is rising earlier. Now this might just be me on lack of sunlight but I swear that when I was a kid it was always dark when I got up for school starting in November. I have very clear memories of walking to the bus stop in high school, in the dark, in November. But I woke up at 6:00AM this morning even though I didn’t have to be up until 7:00AM because THE SUN STREAMING THROUGH MY WINDOW WOKE ME!!!

I don’t believe that the earth is warming because of interference from mankind, but I do believe our days/nights are shifting. And I don’t like it.

~The Office Scribe

No comments: