Sunday, November 23, 2008

Happy Friday! - You're Fired!

Okay, before anyone has a panic attack, I was not fired last Friday.  Though I thought I was...
I come into work on Friday, my favorite work day of the week.  Not only is it the last day but I get to wear jeans.  And nothing bad can happen when I am in jeans.

So I come into work, flip on the old computer, and check my e-mails.  Third from the top is one from my VP with the subject line "Please come see me when you get a chance".  Nothing written i the body.  And I'll be honest, I had a bit of a panic attack.  I had no idea why she wanted to see me. I've been told before that I have a guilty conscious, but seriously, that is not the type of e-mail you want to see first thing in the morning.  On a Friday of all days.  Because they fire people on Fridays.  That was the first thought that popped into my head.  

So I bit my lip and walked to my VP's office and knocked on the door.  She waved me in.  I was sweating bullets but doing my best to not look nervous.  I was thinking, "If she yells at me for something, do I take it because I don't want to lose my job or freak out because I didn't do anything wrong?"

Well I never had a chance to make that choice because as it turns out, I wasn't being fired.  I wasn't even in trouble.  I'm running the Christmas present thing for poor kids and she wanted to know how she went about getting a name.

So the moral of this story is: Think before you title your e-mails because people like me might freak out because of it...Which is dumb, I know.  But true.

~The Office Scribe

No comments: