Monday, November 17, 2008

My Monday Morning Twilight Zone Moment

It was a rough weekend for me. Not rough in a bad way but more rough in a “I didn’t get out of my pajamas all day Sunday because my recovering liver wouldn’t let me” kinda weekend. Saturday night started off with me consuming 1 liter pitchers of Long Island Iced Teas and ended with champagne in my friends basement at 4:00AM. For as much pain as I felt on Sunday, it was more than worth it. (Congrats to my friends who got engaed. About damn time!)

But things were a little off for me on Sunday. Aside from the dizzying headache I also watched the Bears lose to those cheddar-heads to the north and realized that the only food I had in my house was pasta. It was just one of those typical post-party recovery days when you don’t really know what day or time it is and you are too tired to care.

So imagine the confusion I felt when I pulled into the parking lot at 10:00AM (I start late on Mondays and for good reasons) and it had half the number of cars that it usually did. After pulling into a spot, located much closer to the door than usual, I sat there for a moment and checked the time, making sure I wasn’t getting to work earlier than I had to (which I have done before). Then I pulled out my cell phone and double checked what day it was, making sure I wasn’t at work on a day when I didn’t need to be (which I have also done before…).

But no, it was 10:00AM on a Monday which made me wonder, where the hell did all the cars go? Did one of the companies in my building collapse over the weekend and fire everyone? I was actually a little scared to come into the office because I thought for sure half of the company was let go and I didn’t want to be one of them. I pictured in my head some desks with red roses and some without a la The Bachelor style and I wouldn’t be above stealing someone else’s rose, Survivor style.

The really strange thing is that I have been at work for about 6 hours now and no one else has commented on it. Am I just really that much more observant than my fellow co-workers or am I just that much of a loser that I notice weird things like that?

I’ll let you be the judge.

~The Office Scribe

No comments: