Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wednesday Wrap-Up

What a week we have had so far. Rumor has it we have a new President Elect, but seeing as how I spent last night in a bar I wasn’t aware of what was going on outside those dark paneled walls. Okay, I am lying. The bar had CNN on and my co-workers and I watched the election results in between bouts of Pub Trivia, which has a presidential theme this week. (One of my co-workers pointed out that some day we would be able to tell our kids that we watched history happen…while sitting in a bar.)

Sadly John McCain wasn’t the only loveable loser last night as my team, which won the past two weeks, was beat by one point. And since I am a highly competitive person when it comes to trivia I was bummed by this. But the more I think about it the more I think I was not so much bothered by the fact that we lost but by who we lost to.

The table that beat us was there celebrating a kid’s 21st birthday. Can’t make fun of them for that because we have all done that, otherwise we wouldn’t have been sitting in a bar on a Tuesday night. What I can make fun of them for was what the birthday kid was wearing to celebrate his 21st birthday. I kid you not, he was in flip flops and a dashiki. As in the type of African shirts made popular by hippies in the late 1960’s. And with his blond hippie hair flung back as he chugged a shot with the trivia MC I had to glance back at the TV screen to make sure it was Barrack Obama that was wining and not Richard Nixon.

So I sit here at my desk, bummed not simply because we lost, but because we lost to a hippie.

~The Office Scribe

No comments: