Thursday, June 23, 2011

Shhh! It Can Hear You!

When I was little I remember sitting with my Grandfather watching 2011: A Space Odyssey.  For those who have never seen the movie, let me boil it down to one sentence (which is never an easy task for a Kubrick movie).

A computer goes crazy.

I remember thinking that this was an implausible scenario, even at the tender age of 5.  I mean, inanimate objects just don't go crazy (with the exception of Teddy Ruxpin).  It's a thought I have carried with me through all four Terminator movies and life in general.

That is, until today.

A coworker and I had a discussion about how we were jealous of people in the Creative Services department because they have Macs.  As someone who has a Mac I said I wish I could have one at work.  My coworker agreed and we left the conversation at that.

What I didn't realize was that my PC was listening - and it didn't like what it heard.

I spent the rest of the day waiting for pages to load, getting e-mail errors and generally being less productive than usual, all because my computer decided to hate on me.

So tomorrow, I am not speaking aloud in front of it.  Hand signals only.

~ The Office Scribe

2 comments:

Chris said...

I swear they can hear you too, Voo. Mine has been acting up ever since I said the dreaded words "it might be time to think about getting a new computer". I think it hates me now.

Ed said...

Work computers are moody bitches.