Friday, August 6, 2010

My Loss Is Your Gain

Ahh Fridays... There is, perhaps, no better day during the workweek than Fridays.  Cool places like where I work allow us to shed our corporate visage and dress down in jeans and t-shirts with funny sayings on them like "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel" or "Chicago Cubs".

Fridays also rule because I make it a point to stop and pick up an Iced Quad Venti Non Fat Latte from Starbucks.  I generally only allow myself a $4 cup of coffee on Fridays because it makes financial sense and makes the lattes that much more awesome.

So this morning, I got up, put on my casual Friday attire, and headed to my local Starbucks. (FYI - The great thing about where I live is that I am 5 minutes from 2 different Starbucks, one to the north and one to the south. Yay suburbs!)  And since I was feeling a little lazy, I decided to hit the drive thru.  There were about 4 cars in front of me, so I didn't think the wait would be that bad.

I. Was. Wrong.

The car that was at the window when I pulled up sat there for a solid 8 minutes.  From my position, stuck in the drive thru lane (once you are in you can't escape) it seemed that the person was having a lovely chat with the employee at the window.  My guess is that the conversation was about how they were feeling suicidal but too chicken to pull it off so they were attempting to piss off a bunch of caffeine junkies by delaying their receipt of coffee.

If that was their plan, I think it worked.  The cars in line started to get angry.  People were upset, raising their hands in disgust and hitting the horns.  The employee at the window looked back at the line in fear, attempting to get the car to leave.  But as I said, the car sat there for almost 8 minutes before finally pulling away.

Then things proceeded as normal.  The rest of the cars whipped through the line.  I am sure the baristas were working at hyper speed in order to placate the angry mob.

Which is probably why, when I took a sip of my frosty iced latte about 3 blocks after pulling , I realized they had put some sort of sugary syrup in there.

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

I hate sweetened coffee.  I like my lattes to be as close to the sludge that pumped into the gulf as humanly possible which is why I order it with watered down milk and 4 shots of espresso.  If I wanted it sugary and tasting like what I imagine fairy sweat to taste like, I would have ordered it that way.

So I got to the office, coffee in hand, walked inside and found one of my coworkers and asked "Do you like sugar in your coffee?"  And when she answered "yes" I gave the coffee to her and said "enjoy".  Then I walked into the lunch room and proceeded to pour myself a cup of the same stuff I drink every other day.

(((Sigh)))

I learned a lot of things during this experience.
1) Don't be lazy and use the drive thru if the weather is nice
2) Try the coffee before leaving in order to make sure they got it right
3) Giving a free coffee to someone who wasn't expecting it makes them smile like they won the lottery

I guess it wasn't a complete loss.

Happy Friday everyone.

~ The Office Scribe

2 comments:

Windsmoke said...

That'll teach ya for being so lazy and not making your own in the first place which you ended up doing anyway.

curtisgarett said...

I visited your blog for the first time and just be the fan. Keep posting I will come to play every day.
Office desk