Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Calgon Take Me Away

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is one of those days. You know the kind, where from the minute you walk into the office a cloud seems to descend upon you and you just know it is going to be miserable.

Well for me, the cloud descended as I left my house. The epic battle known as “March In Chicago” is playing out and each day is more irritating than the next. It’s like winter has a death grip and is refusing to give up to spring. So the weather her is alternating between balmy 55 degree days and bitter 30 degree days. Sometimes the wind blows and cuts through you like a knife, other times it smells like flowers and dirt. Yesterday it was suppose to rain and we had snowflakes fall the size of cotton balls. Today it is all grey and basically reflects my mood.

I know I was all bubbly when it came to my job the other day, but hell, they had just given me a trip to Tanzania. But other than that small ray of sunshine, things around the office have been crazy. The person I am the assistant to has been in and out of the office for a few weeks, dealing with a personal issue. I completely understand. But do our crazy clients?

No.

While some people have been like “That’s okay, have her call me when she gets back” most of the calls have been like “Well where is she?” or “Why isn’t she in the office?” or “So who’s gonna deal with this now?”

It’s basically getting to the point where I don’t want to answer the phone anymore. When I came back from lunch I saw my message light was on and I wanted to run back to the cozy, though sometimes stinky, confines of the break room. (Luckily it was just my mom.)

I think tonight I am going to make an advent-like calendar, counting down the days until I leave for Africa. Because if anyone has ever needed to get the hell out of Dodge, it’s me.

The Office Scribe

No comments: