There is nothing like running into another employee in the lunchroom and them asking you if you are a new employee because they haven’t a clue about who you are. I still see people and go “who is that?” only to find out they have been here since the company was founded in the 1960’s.
If you find that you are one of these lost souls, do not fret. There is a way for you to get noticed and make your mark on your fellow co-workers. Actually, there are a lot of things that you can do that will get you noticed and remembered. But the trick is to not become water-cooler gossip. Before I give you the solution, take note of what you are NOT TO DO when trying to get noticed:
1) Get drunk at an office party and dance to a non-existent reggae band.
2) Fall asleep while leaning against the copier because it is the only place in the office above 37 degrees
3) Talk really loud on the phone about highly personal problems with a medical professional
4) Eat smelly foods so often that you become “that person”
5) Wear clothing that makes you look like a lounge singer on the Titanic
Here is the solution: As someone way back when said “A way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” Well, “The way into a co-workers memory is through a candy dish kept on your desk”.
It’s cheap, easy, and you don’t even need to make its presence known. Word of mouth will pass from department to department. Soon your desk will be more popular than the coffee pot or the bathroom. Even if someone works completely on the other side of the building, they will find a reason to be over by your desk.
Candy puts a smile on people’s faces. It relieves the tensioned developed throughout the day with its waves of sugary goodness.
So head out to the local drug store and stock up. Because the holidays are on the way and the people that decide on your Christmas bonus might just be a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Junkie.
The Office Scribe
Sunburns, hang ups, and paper mouths
2 months ago