Monday, September 6, 2010

Hot Siberia

Ugghhhh.

It's been one of those weeks.  The kind of week that makes you long for a holiday weekend even though you know that during those three glorious days you are out of the office your time will be spent cleaning the garage and feeling as dirty as a homeless person while doing it.  But you still don't care because it means you won't be at work for 72 hours and sometimes that is glorious.

Last week I mentioned how on Wednesday I was going to have to pack all my crap up and move to a desk 3 spots away because of reorganization within my department.  Okay, whatever.  I hate moving mainly because my desk is chock full of non-work related items like a mini Darth Vader, Jim Thome bobblehead, and other assorted pieces of wonder that I have picked up along the way. 

So I started to mentally prepare myself for the move on Tuesday morning, figuring I would start to pack up my stuff and possibly even bring it over to my new home.  This plan was dashed however when one of the guys from IT asked if I would be ready to move that afternoon.

WHAT?  Did he not notice all the stuff at my desk? Did he not notice the look of panic in my eyes?  I needed to prepare for this.  I needed to have my mental shit together before I had to flee my homeland like a refugee for what I was told would be greener pastures.

My new pasture is not greener, mainly because though it is located in the corner of the office, it has to be about 15 degrees warmer than my old cubicle.  At first, my co-worker and I thought maybe we just thought it was warmer because of the physical act of moving.  Nope - over the next few days not only did I not have to use the ugly knobby cardigan I keep on the back of my desk - but I had to turn on the small old fan that I haven't touched since we moved into the new building oh 2 years ago.

Perhaps it will just take some getting used to.  Maybe before long I will think of the new cubicle as home.  But chances are, for the foreseeable future, I will just be calling it what it is, Hot Siberia.

~ The Office Scribe

No comments: