Friday, February 29, 2008

My New Commute

To those of you who know me, you know I don’t like change. But when my parents finally sold my childhood home out from underneath me, it was time to find a dwelling of my own. I spent months searching through postings at craigslist top find a place that would suit me. And I finally found one. I moved in a few weeks ago, and while I still have a ton of unpacking to do, my main concern was the new commute.

Granted, I am about the same distance away from my job that I have always been, but in a completely different direction. And this presented a problem: What’s the new best way to get to and from work?

The options seemed endless. Highway? Tollway? Surface road? Cut through a neighborhood? How to get across the tracks? What are the lights like? Are the commuters here crazier than at my other house? Where is the nearest Starbucks?

So I tried a few routes and settled on what seemed like the most efficient. I was getting to work in record time. Cruising along, enjoying the new scenery.

That is, until the other day. It snowed (as it is prone to do in the Chicagoland area in February) and my car was stuck in my parking space. Why? Because the parking lot wasn’t shoveled? No. Because we got more snow that I have ever seen before? No. Because the idiot who parks next to me hasn’t moved the car in three weeks and all his snow has turned my spot into a snowy, ice filled parking space of death?

Ding Ding Ding WE HAVE A WINNER!

I guess I didn’t take into account when I thought about my new, improved commute that I would have to dig my car out of an avalanche courtesy of my new neighbors.

If it weren’t for my sweet couch being delivered on Saturday I’d go move back in with my mom. At least her driveway is easy to get out of.

The Office Scribe

No comments: